- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender
- Approximately 40 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree to your preferred consistency.